Executive Director of Environmental Safety & Health (US region)
Quotient Sciences is a drug development and manufacturing accelerator providing integrated programs and tailored services across the entire development pathway. Cutting through silos across a range of drug development capabilities, we help biotech and pharma customers save precious time and money in getting drugs to patients.
As a growing and successful business, we employ more than 1,100 talented individuals globally, located at state-of-the-art development, manufacturing and clinical facilities in the UK and USA.
Science, Agility and Culture are the core components that define Quotient Sciences, enabling us to do what we do in the way that we do it. People join Quotient Sciences because we are a respected member of the drug development community, driven by an unswerving belief that ideas need to become solutions, and molecules need to become cures, fast. Because humanity needs solutions, fast.
- Responsible for the management and functional oversight of the US EHS function to ensure the EHS management needs of the business are consistently met.
- Collaborate with senior management to ensure all US operations remain in compliance with Quotient requirements, regulatory and statutory requirements, and occupational safety and health guidelines.
- Drive harmonized approaches and best practices within and across regions where Quotient operates.
- Provide leadership that visibly demonstrates safety as a top priority, focuses on prevention, and fosters a culture where safety, health and the environment are a core value.
Main tasks and responsibilities will include:
- Responsible for leading the EHS organization in the US region and collaborating across regions to maintain a harmonized Quotient EHS Policy and execute projects aimed to harmonize EHS activities for the global business. Ensure ‘first class’ compliance performance in line with industry and Quotient quality standards
- Stay ahead of market developments, anticipate challenges and adapt business plans appropriately.
- Continually monitor US regulations related to EHS and maintain a robust EHS management system to ensure the business remains compliant with its current legal obligations
- Assure successful outcomes of regulatory inspections from EHS governing agencies (e.g. EPA, OSHA) by managing EHS activities related to US operations, proactively identifying and working collaboratively to resolve compliance risks, and maintaining effective procedures and processes. Host EHS audits/inspections and, as required, lead the resolution of and response to any audit/inspection findings. Effectively communicate audit and inspection outcomes to relevant site and senior management.
- Advise the senior management team on the legal requirements affecting safety, health, hygiene and welfare. Continually assess risks to business, environment, facilities, personnel, and visitors as a result of Quotient operations. Proactively communicate risks to senior management and lead efforts to mitigate.
- Oversee the US EHS training programs to ensure colleagues at all levels are educated on EHS requirements and expectations. Identify training requirements and developing and implementing new training programs where required.
- Manage the US Business Continuity & Disaster Recovery (BCDR) process and planning activities including the co-ordination of the US Crisis Management Teams (CMT)
- Co-ordinate the activities of the Global API Assessment team
- Monitor EHS performance indicators at all levels of the US business. Proactively anticipate potential issues related to safety, health or environment, and implement actions to mitigate. Identify adverse trends in EHS performance indicators and implement actions to reduce recurrences. Always act with a sense of urgency based on risk levels.
- Develop and promote a positive EHS culture within the US workplaces and drive a continuous improvement focused on EHS compliance and right-first-time execution while maintaining an environment of open communication.
- Encourage and promote participation and intra/inter-departmental idea sharing in order to build an engaged team. Model Quotient’s behavioral competencies and ensure that the highest level of compliance and integrity are adhered to in all interactions. Ensure Quotient’s manifesto, behaviours and ‘The Quotientness of Quotient’ (Science, Agility and Culture) is embedded, lived and evolved.
- Create a collaborative, inclusive and engaging culture where everyone has the opportunity to achieve their potential and develop their career within Quotient
- Coach, mentor and manage team, including staffing, effective utilization of resources, ongoing training, professional development and performance management of EHS personnel. Develop robust talent and succession pipelines to develop and retain key talent and deliver business objectives
- Achieve high levels of performance and engagement through inspirational and authentic leadership
- Work closely with global/matrix leaders to deliver Quotient’s strategy, business objectives and work with other leaders to deliver a ‘one business one customer’ experience driving Molecules to Cure and business growth in line with the business plan.
- Support the development of long-term strategies around safety, health and the environment to support efficient organizational growth. Establish annual EHS functional objectives that align with long-term strategies and generate individual objectives for staff that are SMART (Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, Time-bound) and assure successful achievement of functional objectives. Work with the People Function, Operations, Compliance, IT, & Facilities to ensure site and functional objectives are met.
- Ensure all activities within US EHS are conducted in line with the necessary health & safety, legal, financial, quality and regulatory compliance requirements, in accordance with company and external guidelines.
The job may involve the following:
- Very high concentration of work
- Strict and tight deadlines
- Having to juggle a range of tasks/issues simultaneously
- Working in a hazardous environment with high requirement to follow safety procedures
- A flexible approach to work required to meet the demands of the role
- Needing to respond to client demands
- Bachelor’s degree required; concentration in safety management, safety engineering, industrial hygiene, environmental science, occupational health, engineering, or related field preferred
- Master’s degree or additional certificates in EHS technical areas or business management preferred
- 10+ years of overall relevant EHS work experience and practical application of health and safety regulation; +6 years’ experience in a line management position
- In-depth understanding of EHS compliance requirements, including OSHA & EPA
- Prior experience managing health and safety within a GXP environment including experience with highly potent APIs (HPAPI) and PBLEC banding and control strategies (strongly desirable)
- Strong leadership skills to guide change in workplace culture and lead organizational transformation
- Demonstrated success in coaching, mentoring and training across functions
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Self-directed, strategic leader with strong ability to work effectively across multiple cultures and with cross-functional teams
In return you will receive a competitive salary, a generous benefits package, excellent training and development, as well as an exciting career within a fast paced and dynamic business.
Our Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
Quotient Sciences are advocates for positive change and conscious inclusion.
We strive to create a diverse Quotient family by remaining committed to the development of our culture, equality, mindset, diversity & inclusion in the workplace.
As a global employer, we recognise the value in having an organisation that is a true reflection and representation of our society today. All applicants welcome.
If you have any questions or need some support with your application, we’d love to hear from you so contact our friendly team at firstname.lastname@example.org.