Clinical Research Physician - Maternity Cover (18 month contract)
Quotient Sciences is a drug development and manufacturing accelerator providing integrated programs and tailored services across the entire development pathway. Cutting through silos across a range of drug development capabilities, we help biotech and pharma customers save precious time and money in getting drugs to patients.
As a growing and successful business, we employ more than 1,300 talented individuals globally, located at state-of-the-art development, manufacturing, clinical and data sciences facilities in the UK and USA.
Science, Agility and Culture are the core components that define Quotient Sciences, enabling us to do what we do in the way that we do it. People join Quotient Sciences because we are a respected member of the drug development community, driven by an unswerving belief that ideas need to become solutions, and molecules need to become cures, fast. Because humanity needs solutions, fast.
Due to maternity leave of the existing post holder, we have a fixed term opportunity available for a Clinical Research Physician to join us on a fixed term contract for 18 months. This is a fantastic opportunity to be responsible for the medical aspects of Phase I and II clinical trials. Managing the process by which a volunteer is screened for a specific study to determine their eligibility to take part in the study and responsible for the everyday running of studies including the welfare of volunteers under the direction of the Principal Investigator.
Summary of job purpose
- To act as a medically qualified person responsible for medical aspects of Phase I and II activities.
- To manage the process by which a volunteer is screened for a specific study, to determine their eligibility to take part in the study.
- To take medical responsibility for the everyday running of studies including the welfare of volunteers under the direction of the Principal Investigator.
- To liaise with the Principal Investigators, Lead Scientists and members of the study teams about any medical and/or safety issues arising from a study.
- To support the corporate goals by working closely with the Medical Science, Business Development and Marketing Departments.
- To comply & adhere to GXP guidelines and regulations as required of this role.
- To ensure study data is collected to a high quality in accordance with Good Clinical Practice (GCP) standards.
- To ensure subject safety at all times
This is an excellent opportunity for someone who is looking to use their medical training to gain new skills in a challenging commercial environment and who will enjoy working within a multi-skilled team.
Main tasks and responsibilities
- To confirm eligibility of volunteers before being invited for study specific screening as required.
- To carry out study specific informed consent as required.
- Conduct screening to ensure subject eligibility for a specific study, including:
- Taking a full medical history from volunteers
- Performing a full physical examination for each volunteer
- Conducting or assisting clinical staff in the conduct of other study specific screening activities
- Reviewing all information gathered at pre study visit and confirming volunteer’s eligibility to take part in a study by signing the CRF
- To assist the Senior Research Physician / Principal Investigator with ward duties.
- In the event of a medical emergency occurring during the course of a study, to assist the physician responsible for the study and the clinical staff with the management of the emergency as needed, or to take temporary responsibility for the other volunteers whilst the emergency is being dealt with.
- To ensure the volunteers health and welfare takes priority.
- Provide study specific training and support to the Operations team prior to, during and after study days (as appropriate to the study) in order to ensure efficient execution of the study and acquisition of quality data.
- To work closely with the PI to understand the rationale for study design to facilitate the planning and delivery of individual studies.
- Production/review of the protocol, volunteer information and consent form, safety summary and any other documentation in conjunction with the Principal Investigator and other relevant personnel.
- Act as study physician on selected studies.
- To support the Principal Investigator in discussions with clients.
- Responsible for the development and implementation of Standard Operating Procedures as required.
This position involves an on-call rota, you will participate in on-call day and night, including weekends and weekday nights, once you have attained sufficient experience. This is a mandatory commitment and is included in the overall salary.
Professional membership fees will be reimbursed for the time of employment.
- You will have a full license to practice by the General Medical Council, a minimum of two years of postgraduate clinical experience, which should normally involve direct patient care and experience of prescribing.
- An ALS certificate issued within the last 4 years is desirable but not essential, as certification can be arranged once employed.
- Previous research experience would be an advantage but is not essential, as training will be provided.
- You will be passionate about the development of medicines and keen to develop your career in clinical research. Quotient offers full training and there are excellent career opportunities available.
The job may involve the following:
- Very high concentration of work
- Strict and tight deadlines
- Having to juggle a range of tasks/issues simultaneously
- Working in a hazardous environment with high requirement to follow safety procedures
- Working outside normal working hours
In return, you will receive a competitive salary, a generous benefits package, excellent training and development, as well as an exciting career within a fast paced and dynamic business.
Our Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
Quotient Sciences are advocates for positive change and conscious inclusion.
We strive to create a diverse Quotient family by remaining committed to the development of our culture, equality, mindset, diversity & inclusion in the workplace.
As a global employer, we recognise the value in having an organisation that is a true reflection and representation of our society today. All applicants welcome.