Process Chemistry Team Leader
Process Chemistry Team Leader
Quotient Sciences is a drug development and manufacturing accelerator providing integrated programs and tailored services across the entire development pathway. Cutting through silos across a range of drug development capabilities, we save precious time and money in getting drugs to patients.
As a growing and successful business, we employ more than 1,100 talented individuals globally, located at state-of-the-art development, manufacturing and clinical facilities in the UK and USA.
Science, Agility and Culture are the core components that define Quotient Sciences, enabling us to do what we do in the way that we do it. People join Quotient Sciences because we are a respected member of the drug development community, driven by an unswerving belief that ideas need to become solutions, and molecules need to become cures, fast. Because humanity needs solutions, fast.
An opportunity has arisen for a Process Chemistry Team Leader to join our Drug Substance department. The position is to provide scientific and administrative guidance for members of the PR&D Team. Deputise as required for Department Head. Plan, perform and manage synthesis projects in accordance with regulatory and company procedures.
- Provide leadership and scientific direction to direct reports. Including the provision of mentoring and development opportunities to facilitate progression opportunities for colleagues
- Design and execute synthetic routes to target molecules. Developing safe, compliant, scalable economically viable processes for downstream manufacture of API and intermediates within agreed timeframes. Apply chemical knowledge to ensure that target molecules meet the expected target product profile.
- Provide written, oral and presentation updates on project progress to clients and other stakeholders. For large projects collate team updates, acting as the principle point of contact.
- Act as Project Manager for single and multifunction projects as assigned with a minimum of managerial oversight. Accountable for managing project deliverables and budget. Ensure that awarded work is progressed and reported to the expected quality standards/schedule.
- Work directly with potential clients and the rest of the organisation to formalise the scope of work requests and to maximise the number and value of awards
- Deputise for the Head of Department as required.
- Support the commercial enquiry, cost estimation and proposal generation process.
- Identify opportunities for business growth and contribute to
- department strategy.
- Work with Head of Department to monitor and control costs and resources according to budget.
- Implement training plans as agreed with Head of Department.
- Is accountable for project deliverables and project budget targets. Manages projects directly or through members of the team. Is responsible for ensuring that awarded work is progressed and reported to the expected quality standards/schedule.
- Guide and counsel other department members through synthetic problems they might encounter and contribute to the resolution of same.
- Ensure that self and others using laboratories handle and dispose of materials in accordance with agreed company practices and procedures.
- Plan and perform syntheses / purifications of various chemical entities within agreed timeframes. Apply process chemistry knowledge to the development and synthesis of drug substance which meets the expected target product profile.
- Maintain Laboratory Notebook, ensuring that this is countersigned, and contribute to countersigning others’ books as assigned.
- Ensure that work is conducted in compliance with relevant regulatory requirements, internal policies/procedures and client requirements where appropriate.
- Assist in the selection of equipment and, with Facilities, prepare CAPEX justifications for purchase of equipment as required.
- Maintain laboratory systems that have been implemented as a result of GMP action programmes.
- Suggest improvements to site procedures and systems to improve team and department efficiency and compliance (GMP and HSE).
- Contribute to laboratory operations, equipment acquisition and maintenance, contracts, housekeeping, stock control, disposals and liaise with other departments dealing with such matters.
- Work with due regard to health & safety of self & others.
- Work flexibly across the site to meet business needs.
- Participate in and produce process risk assessments for process to be scaled up on site.
- Contribute to the completion of Dossiers by providing scientific and process knowledge.
- Apply QbD principles for the development of processes for commercial API manufacture.
- work with due regard to health and safety of self and others
- Work flexibly across the site to meet business needs
The successful candidate will have gained several years’ experience in synthetic chemistry in addition to an excellent academic record in organic chemistry up to and including doctoral level or an equivalent level of industrial experience. Furthermore, the day-to-day responsibility for the development laboratories requires specific experience gained over several years in this specialised field. The abilities to communicate effectively with senior management and clients, and to contribute constructively to the development of junior members of the department are also essential. The position additionally requires leadership ability and a broad perspective of the role and responsibility of the department within the organisation.
Other skills and experience required:
- An excellent record in Synthetic organic chemistry, either at Doctoral level or Graduate with minimum of five or Six years’ relevant industrial experience respectively.
In return, you will receive a competitive salary, a generous benefits package, excellent training and development, as well as an exciting career within a fast paced and dynamic business.
Our commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
Quotient Sciences business are advocates for positive change and conscious inclusion. We strive to create a diverse Quotient family by remaining committed to the development of our culture, equality, mindset, diversity & inclusions in the workplace.
As a global employer, we recognise the value in having an organisation that is a true reflection and representation of our society today. All applicants welcome.